Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A Birth Story: Polly Jane - Part Five

{Your can read Part One, Part Two, Part Three, and Part Four to catch up on the saga.}

Monday morning I showered early. I continued to debate about whether to call Dr. Trabue or not. My midwife had not recommended I call him; should I check with her first? There were two doctors who *may* agree to try the version. Would Dr. Trabue just think I was stupid? What should I say?

I called as soon as the office opened.
"Can I get an appointment with Dr. Trabue?"
"Are you a patient?
{Pause. Pause.} "Not exactly."
"Oh. Are you one of Susie Meeks' patients?"
{Stunned.} "Yes."
"Alright, we have an opening at 1115."
"What?!?!?! Oh, ok! Yes, that will be great!"

God did not give me a total sense of piece or take away all my anxiety. God did give me a few sentences to say. I am not sure if I have ever composed a speech so exactly in my head. I ran over it and over it and over it again.

Eric was meeting me at the hospital for this appointment. Our conversation, as we both drove there, went something like this:
L: "I feel a little bit stupid about going in. I heard his insurance has changed and he can't do breech deliveries anymore. The worst he can say is "No" though, right? I would hate to have a c-section and always think "I wonder what would have happened if I had just asked."
E: "Yeah. I feel like there is no way he can say yes."

I was glad we were going, but I was nervous. I really respect Dr. Trabue; he is the doctor to whom I refer all my friends who opt for physician care. What would he say?

We got into his office. I sat on the edge of the chair, nervous, and not wanting to appear larger than my overdue self already was. He came in & shook our hands. It was go time. I had about 25 seconds to convince him.

"While I was in midwifery school at Vanderbilt a few years ago, you delivered my friend, Janice Prieskorn's, breech baby. I was there for that delivery. And, now, I have a breech baby. {take breath.} Is there any way you will deliver our baby?"

The indefinite pause happened. I stared at him. Then..."Yes, I'll do it assuming we can get a few tests done that show everything will be ok."

WHAT?!?!?!? This may not seem like a big deal to many of you in other locations, but NO ONE in middle Tennessee delivers breech babies. Everyone is scared. Everyone freaks out if your baby is breech. No one wants to let anything natural happen at this point. This man had just said yes! I had been praying and praying and praying that God would turn his heart to us. "You turn the heart of Kings where you will; certainly, God, you can give us favor with this doctor. Please give us favor in his eyes!"

My brain had to switch into planning mode. I was so sure I was going to be shot down; I hadn't thought through all that "yes!" might mean. We discussed my previous (large) deliveries and my (very) adequate pelvis. I agreed to have CT pelvimetry done. Dr. Trabue explained the plan and emphasized that he was in charge. I gave my grateful acknowledgement, assuring him we were fine (and happy) about the arrangement.

When we had the breech delivery plan all lined up, I said "Would you like to try to do a version?" As his face crinkled to say no, I quickly interjected "I have got a TON of fluid" and handed him my ultrasound report. His response? "Wow. That is a lot of fluid. I never do versions on post-date women because they usually don't work. They don't work because your fluid level decreases at term. But {adjusts glasses}, you really have a lot of fluid."

We scheduled a 5 AM check in time for the next morning. The plan was to attempt a version. If it succeeded, I would go for immediate induction. If it failed, I would head for immediate c-section. I felt like a million (large) bucks when we left the hospital. I could not believe God had been so kind to me! I was totally overwhelmed that God would choose to answer my prayers. I now had a chance at a vaginal birth - and with my very favorite OB in all of Nashville!

I called Susie on the way there. She was shocked that Dr. Trabue had agreed to take my case. He had turned down another client of hers earlier that summer - a client who had a way more favorable prognosis for a successful breech delivery. It was just another little whisper of how God was caring for me and giving me far above what I could have asked or imagined.

Eric and I headed to Arnold's for lunch. The whole time I am sure I said "I can't believe it! I can't believe it!"

4 comments:

George and Krista said...

Hey Lydia,

I've enjoyed your birth story! Hope you all are well! We had another baby girl a month ago. Hope sometime we can introduce Polly Jane and Elliana!

Krista

The Gundy Bunch said...

Agh!!!!!! This is awesome!!!! I cannot wait for the rest!! Love you!!!!

Rebecca Nugent said...

I'm pretty sure that's why Thomas turned like he did- I had so much fluid that everyone (except for you!) thought I was going to have a ten pound baby:)

Can't wait to read the rest of it...

JGM said...

Good call on Arnolds. Delicious! God owns the cattle on a thousand hills, and the hills. Why are we surprised when we clearly see Him work? He is so gracious. :) -Ab