Thursday, March 1, 2012

Book Review

Since graduating high school, my reading time has been consumed with mandatory reads - reading with a deadline, reading for a test, reading to learn. I finished one school then another and quickly had a baby. This baby, thankfully, threw my life into a tailspin. The last thing on my mind has been squeezing in reading time. Almost five years later, I'm worried my brain has atrophied and am scared by all the challenges of educating my own children. I've started to read again. My lofty goal for 2012 is to read two (yes, just two!) books a month. Below are the books I read in January.

1. Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches by Rachel Jankovik
This book gave a dose of just what I needed: practical examples of getting to the heart of a situation - my heart and the heart of my children. I know I'm supposed to be shepherding hearts. I know I'm supposed to be seeing all kinds of behaviors as expressions of "heart issues." But, really? What kind of heart is being exposed with screams of "I don't want to wear tights! I want to wear legggggggiiiinnnnnnnggggggssss!" Jankovik gave so many great examples of how to Biblically think through common situations. I found this book extremely helpful, full of gracious admonishments, and influential in helping me live out Biblical parenting.

2. Recovering the Lost Tools of Learning: An Approach to Distinctively Christian Education by Douglas Wilson
If you talked to me in January, I might have gone on and on about this book. In the midst of struggling through quickly-approaching education decisions, this book offered a little practical thesis that echoes where my heart is. I've been drawn to Classical Education in recent years, but would not have been able to give you a real definition of it until I read this book. Excellent, excellent! This would be helpful to any Christian parent in the process of educating their child.

3.1.2012

No comments: