Sunday, September 26, 2010

Where's My Baby?

Today I am 40 weeks and 2 days pregnant. I have an overabundance of amniotic fluid (as in, more than 33% extra). And, I have a breech baby - a complete breech. (That means my baby is sitting Indian-style in my belly instead of being head down.) For liability reasons, very few obstetricians will deliver a breech baby.

So...our options at this point:
1. The baby will spontaneously flip and we'll continue with our planned homebirth.
2. I'll locate an obstetrician who will agree to attempt a version on my overdue (but fluid-filled!) self.
3. If the version is successful, I'll jump right into an induction. No reason to risk the baby turning breech again.
4. The version will not be successful or I'll go into labor before one can be attempted and have a c-section.

This pregnancy has been full of surprising challenges from the very beginning. This latest turn of events seems to fit right into the mental chaos I have been battling the last nine months. I am ready to look back on 2010 and *see* all the things God has been working for my good. For now, I'll seek to see God's good hand in this moment.

We are so very thankful to have been able to carry this baby to full term, to have recognized the breech position prior to labor beginning, and to have a healthy (as far as we know) baby who still has enough room to swim! God has been gracious throughout the pregnancy - especially in this last month - to remind me of truth and to provide peace when I allow anxiety to consume me. So, right now I am feeling very thankful to still feel baby movements and to still be pregnant. We are praying for a healthy baby and, secondarily, a vaginal delivery. Hopefully I will have happy news to post in just a few short days. Today I will continue to rejoice at my large blessing, remind myself of truth (God is good; God is in control; Children are a blessing...), and hope my water doesn't break in public~:-) Because, if it does folks, you better hope you are sporting your galoshes!

7 comments:

Garguile Family said...

I'm quite certain you've already been sent to spinningbabies.com but I'll suggest it anyway. They have great recommendations for positions etc to get babies to turn. I have seen a bunch of 3rd babies with your exact problem lately (two with WONDERFUL vag breech deliveries, one at HOME!) GOOD LUCK!

Grammie said...

Hoping and praying that we'll get a call tonight or real soon that "Little Peanut" has turned; that both Momma and baby will be safe. May God hold you both in His hands so gently. We love you all!

Rebecca Nugent said...

Lydia: Go to a chiropractor. Go straight to a chiropractor. Do not pass go, and do not collect a hundred dollars. Seriously. Gresham turned after one visit, and he was breech for quite awhile. Good luck, girl!

Michelle said...

haha, sitting Indiana style, huh? You've got a little yoga baby;) Aw, Lyd, I'll be praying for you. That it will go the way you want it to. The Lord's plan is perfect, so I guess we'll see what that is very soon. I love you, friend, and can't way to hear from you!

lydia said...

Thanks for the suggestions & prayers everyone!
Shawna, I started crying when I watched the breech delivery on spinningbabies.com. I can't find anyone here who will DO a breech delivery!
Rebecca, I've been going to the chiropractor for the last several months. I will continue to go, but at this point I don't have high hopes that baby's breech position is due to a misalignment.

The Stansells said...

Lyd-- is Dr. Trabue still your back-up? We had several nurses at the hospital mention to us that he is one of the few OBs in Nashville that will still consider breech deliveries...of course this might have changed in the last year.

Praying for you and a HEALTHY baby no matter the route:)

-LRS

The Stansells said...

Lyd-- is Dr. Trabue still your back-up? We had several nurses at the hospital mention to us that he is one of the few OBs in Nashville that will still consider breech deliveries...of course this might have changed in the last year.

Praying for you and a HEALTHY baby no matter the route:)

-LRS