Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Our Last Visit with Grandpa Millard

This visit with Grandma and Grandpa would have been impossible without Eric. I spent most of my time at the hospital, eating with Grandma, and driving Grandma to and from the hospital. Eric pretty much took sole care of the children, even coordinating a quick meal of cereal in Gigi's apartment while I was at the hospital. Single-handedly corralling three children in an apartment full of breakables is not a task for the faint of heart, but Eric did it successfully. He was a superhero. I'm so thankful for the precious hours I was able to spend with Grandpa because of Eric's servant-like behavior. Our time in Pennsylvania was no "vacation", but I didn't want to be anywhere else.

Eric's superhero skills involved a little of this:


We took the children back to the hospital one last time to say goodbye to Grandpa Millard.  As it turns out, it was goodbye for good.  We never saw him again. 
Oh, friends!  How patients need an advocate!!!  Grandma fought with the nurse and the ER doctor to get treatment for Grandpa.  I fought to get mouth swabs.  I fought to get a temperature taken.  I fought to get an x-ray done.  We fought for very minimal care.  My Dad and Uncle fought for hydration.  Water!  We had to fight for water!

As image-bearers of the one true God we all have worth.  Each life, at every stage of life, is valuable.  At that value isn't on a sliding scale; value is inherent simply because humans are made in the image of God.  {So fight for your loved ones!  Fight for people to be treated with much dignity, to be honored until God decides their days are ended.}

Grandpa's life was well-lived and filled with many praiseworthy things.  I am still very much mourning his absence.

5.29.2012

No comments: